Chartwell Hospitality (Corporate)
Posted September 14, 2021
Great opportunity with a rapidly growing Construction Company headquartered in Franklin, TN
Construction Project Manager
General Role Description
Project Manager is an expert in managing the full gamut of the construction process at the project level. The PM must possess the ability to identify and balance the priorities of several limited scale projects concurrently. Candidate must thrive in an environment where the importance of fast paced decision making often outweighs the need for procedural rigor. This individual understands how to develop and maintain positive relationships that result in long-term partnerships with clients, subcontractors and consultants. The Project Manager must excel at consistent and accurate communication with all parties involved in the project process. The individual will lead a team with a project focus that includes; how the project fits with the clients’ goals while adhering to schedule and budget as well as the ability to identify project value and maximize the projects’ financial performance. This position reports to the Vice President of Construction and has direct supervisory responsibilities for assigned Assistant Project Managers, Project Engineers and Superintendents.
- Holds project teams accountable for behaviors that deliver results
- Lead and facilitate OAC Meetings
- Work with project teams regarding profitability while driving repeat business through project quality and performance under various contracting methods
- Develop construction strategy and have full buy-in from super and subs
- Act as a proactive liaison between Owner, Consultants, Subcontractors, and project teams
- Proactively look for ways to use the resources of the team to solve client problems.
- Demonstrates a thorough commitment to the ownership by ensuring that all aspects of our obligations are met and exceeded.
- Views our client as business partners and acts as an advocate for them in managing the building process
- Is willing and capable of holding ourselves, our subcontractors, and our client accountable in a professional and collaborative way
- Own project delivery from estimating through warranty, including the execution of financial performance and delivery of client goals and objectives
- Accountable for overall effective communication with all parties involved in the construction process
- Proactive problem solving: recognize and drive resolution of any obstacles preventing success in all areas of a project – schedule, budget, subcontractors, staff, changes, means/methods, client satisfaction
- Deep understanding of all Prime Contracts and Sub Contracts
- Champion of quality management / quality control - communicate the purpose and benefits while overseeing and driving the process at a high level
- Champion of safety on jobsites - ensuring 100% compliance and exercising the authority to stop unsafe activity or behaviors
- Resolve conflicts/issues with clients and subcontractors
- Adaptability to accept change when circumstances demand it – decisive in driving resolution to tough issues
- Lead estimating efforts for specific SPD projects
- Evaluate and compile all bids and project SPD budgets
- Source and build relationships with specialty contractors and vendors
- Develop preliminary project schedules as a tool for estimating total project cost
- Communicate and present estimates to customers, architects, engineers, etc.
- Provide take-off reviews and estimates from construction drawings
- Review and evaluate all proposals, estimates, bids, etc. submitted by specialty contractors and vendors
- Review contract documents, plans, and specifications, requests for proposals, soil reports and addendums
- Solicit subcontractors and suppliers to obtain the best possible participation
- Perform quantity surveys for pricing on hard bids and some budget estimates
- Prior to bid day or proposal submittal advise the department leader regarding subcontractor coverage, contract document errors and omissions, competition, inherent risks and rewards, and cost on an operation by operation basis with complete general conditions
- Maintain the SPD Group estimating library and database
- Develop and maintain Owner, Architect, Subcontractor and supplier relationships
- Participate in the project turnover process to educate the operations team on all facets of the new project
- Assist in the implementation and improvement of the standard practices and procedures for the estimating department.
- Participate in value-engineering process
- Qualify subcontractor’s capability to perform work, prior performance, financial strength, reputation, responsiveness, references and bonding.
- Understand industry trends, technology and delivery methods
- Seek continuous improvement – through peers and regular reviews
- Keep VP of Operations fully in the loop on the financial situation for each project
- Work with project team to develop a complete contract base line CPM
- Work with project team to ensure schedules are maintained and/or accelerated to ensure compliance with the prime contract
- Use the schedule as a tool and ensure accurate updates
- Responsible for on time project completion
- Submit schedule to VP of Operations for final approval
- Conduct/participate in project handoff meetings from Estimating to Operations.
- Ensure the preparation of complete scopes of work for each trade - make sure all exposures are covered up front (even if not covered by original estimate)
- Ensure timely Buy-Out of each trade with a positive end result. The sub should walk away happy as well
- Submit subcontractor buy out data to VP of Operations for final approvalSubcontracts and Purchase Orders:
- Prepare subcontract drafts with a complete understanding of notes and comments on the bid tab under the selected subcontractor – holistically
- Foster strong subcontractor relationships
- Lead timely resolution with all applicable subcontractors regarding any disputes
- Submit all cost & contract related items to VP of Operations for final approvalFinance / Risk Management:
- Understands that financial success is a necessary result for our business to grow and succeed
- Strong knowledge base of business terms and owner contracts and how they affect project outcomes. Disciplined, focused, and able to negotiate interpretations of the same
- Read and understand the project contract and how it relates to our responsibilities and manage the risks accordingly
- Own negotiations and contracting process with subcontractors to secure executed contracts and agreements in a timely manner
- Negotiate any requested changes to Subcontractor contract language in the scope of work and contract value sections
- Understand Owner and Subcontractor Insurance & Bonding and how it relates to projects
- Manage project budgets, cost expenditures, change management, forecasting, timely draw submissions, timely payment from clients, and timely payment of subcontractors
- Manage monthly cost projections
- Owns the consistency and effectiveness of monthly project review meetings
- Submit all cost related items to VP of Operations for final approval
Project Set Up in Project Management Software:
- Ensure that the drawing, submittal and closeout logs are complete
- Ensure the setup of the phase/cost code breakdown based on the contract budget meets the needs of the project
- Set up the pay application continuation sheet based on the contract budget
- Coordinate the layout/contents of the meeting minute packet with the Owner, Architect and Project Management team
- Effectively record meeting minutes as required and directed
- Timely distribution of meeting minutes to the project team
- Timely resolution of action items delegated in the meetings
Process Contract Changes:
- Distribution of all changed contract document to subcontract base
- RFI Creation, Tracking and Distribution
- Create, track and report all owner/architect budget pricing
- Create, track and process all Pending Change Orders
- Create, track and process all Owner Change Orders
- Create, Track and process all Subcontractor Change Orders
Working Set Drawings for Office and Field use:
- Create and maintain a full set of up-to-date Construction Documents. Project Sight as the primary tool for maintenance and distribution of contract and field use documents. These documents include:
- Original Base Contract Drawings
- Original Base Contract Specifications
- Approved Supplemental Sketches
- Accepted RFPs/Change Orders
- RFI Responses
- Approved Submittals
- Misc. Coordination Drawings
- Only approved documents intended for construction should be uploaded.
- Ensure that the documents are labeled with the correct sheet numbers, and names, etc. Utilize page tags, hyperlinks, and annotations to properly organize the documents
- Upload documents in such a manner that replaced and/or deleted sheets remain in the set but are easily identified as such
- Manage collaborators and editors for each project. This shall include the Project Superintendent and may include subcontractors, vendors, owners, architects, and engineers
- Ensure that the project superintendent and appropriate subcontractors maintain up to date as-built annotations on the Master Plan Set
- Review the contract documents to create a Submittal tracking log in Project Management Software
- Request and track all submittal requirements from the subcontractor, to the Architects and back to all subcontractors that will be affected by the submittal
- A thorough and timely review of the submittal when compared to the contract and city documents prior to their submittal to the Architect/Engineer/Consulting team
- Manage the procurement process to create submittal schedule and ensure timely deliveries of material/equipment to meet the project schedule.
- Manage the timely preparation and execution of the project closeout process
- Assist the Superintendent in creating, completing and finalizing the project punch list
Safety / Risk Management:
- Execute the safety program
- Leads weekly safety coordination meetings
- Job site safety management - Enforce safety rules and regulations
- SWPP program & documentation - Understand and enforce SWPPP regulations
- Participates in Compliance Assurance. (Executed subcontract and insurance on file before starting work.)
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; stand; bend; walk; use hands/fingers; feel objects, tools or controls; lift boxes (up to 50 pounds); talk and hear. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision to a computer/pad screen.
Franklin Construction Group, LLC is affiliated with the National Hotel Development & Management Company, Chartwell Hospitality. Also affiliated with the Regional Apartment Development Company, SR Residential. Franklin Construction Group, LLC is the in-house General Construction company for these companies.
Competitive Salary and Benefits Package – Medical, Dental, Vision & Drug Insurance, Life Insurance, Supplemental Insurance, 401K, Vacation/PTO.
Chartwell Hospitality (Corporate)
Chartwell Hospitality specializes in the acquisition, development, and management of high-quality, branded hotels. Our occupancy and market rates consistently surpass the competition. Our growth and success are based on our mission to be the best in the business, as well as a commitment to constantly exceed the expectations of our investors, partners, guests, and associates.
The Chartwell Mission
Chartwell Hospitality is a company committed to growth by exceeding the expectations of our associates, guests, and partners. We strive to create an environment where all associates are valued and respected, and where doing it the “right way” takes precedence over doing it the “easy way.” Our growth is built on honest business practices, a strong commitment to our associates, progressive sales practices and a dedication to providing well-maintained hotels.
Our Excellent Care and Customer Service Leads to High-Performing Properties
Our strict value-creation criteria, combined with our commitment to providing guests with excellent customer service and well-maintained properties, enables our hotels to consistently achieve higher occupancy and market rates than our competitors. And, it has earned several properties in our portfolio top industry awards, including “Developer of the Year” and “Lifetime Achievement Award” for Hilton.